First of all, the Z in Z.L. stands for Zuleika and yes, I’m a woman. 🙂 I’ve seen search terms where people have wondered about my gender. Oh, yes… I see it all! I am particularly fond of the searches where people are attempting to find illegal downloads of my books. May they catch a virus in the process. 😉
Okay and now to the good stuff.
I’m a city girl/desert rat born and raised in Southern California, who grew up loving to daydream. I also have a BA in Broadcast Journalism and an MA in Communications Studies from California State University, Los Angeles.
So I read through the previous list of things About Me and goodness, I’ve changed so much since then.
Lets delete the old and here’s the new!
- I still love wearing dresses because they’re easy, always stylish and more importantly comfortable but I have discovered fleece pajamas and fleece lined socks. OMG, talk about comfort.
- I’m not pretentious but I am pretty classy–there’s a difference.
- Also, I really am a nerd, and I love it. I say to all those who have been called nerds, embrace that part of yourself. It means you’re smart, independent, enjoy intellectual exploration and are just different from the rest. And it’s never too late for anybody to discover their inner-nerd and be who God made YOU.
- However I will say that if I can go back and do it all over again, I would be a mathematician. I’ve always loved math. I used to get lost in solving equations. I think that’s why my novels are so intricately plotted. Plotting is like math and I LOVE it!
- I still love watching TV. Lot’s of reality (I mean could a writer resist all those personalities, unscripted an on display?). But I live for HGTV and now The Cooking Channel. Cooks or Cons, Bakers or Fakers, Iron Chef Gauntlet is coming back, Love It Or List It, House Hunters, The Property Brothers, Fixer Upper… Like, I can go on but I’ll stop there. I also love great scripted shows like Homeland, Game of Thrones, The Left Overs, scratching my head through this last season of Girls, and oh my goodness, did you see what NBC brought us last season—This Is Us. Listen, I can talk TV all day long but who has time for that????
- I love beautiful scenery and in my life I have seen some stunners. I can only hope that the older I get the more I see. I want to do an African safari in the next few years because I LOVE watching shows about predators on Smithsonian Channel (another favorite network of mine). However, and I know this about myself, the exotic insects will be a challenge for me… sigh… Which leads me to number five.
- I hate bugs.
- But I actually love getting older. I change so much with each passing year. I’m thriftier. I LOVE to cook. I enjoy seeing a coyote bask in the sun on my patio or a squirrel chomp down on a hickory seed while perched on a rock. And, I’m 47. So I’m a Gen X’er. Like a serious 1969, Gen X’er. I’ve been accused of being a millennial but we Generation X’ers are physically aging backwards, which is a result of doing this life that belongs to us “OUR WAY.”
- I still love coffee but I only drink one cup a day. On rare occasions I’ll splurge and have two. And when we go to the buffet, which has the MIND-BLOWING coffee, I drink it until I hurt myself and can’t fall asleep later on that night.
- I still have rituals, but don’t we all? Like I wake up every morning wash my mouth out with Listerine and use my electric toothbrush to brush my teeth. I do the same before bed. I may have the same breakfast—a bed of greens with a portion of garlic potatoes, sautéed apple and a poached egg on top. I switch up my dressings. My favorite is Feta Greek from Sprouts grocers but they don’t sell it anymore so now I’m trying everything to replace it. And my daily rituals goes on. However, every now and then, like when I complete a novel, I just obliterate all of my rituals for a while and goodness does that feel good.
- And finally—I work very hard to not be judgmental, which is another beautiful result of maturing. And I pray for the day when we all as humans learn to leave the judging to God and not human beings professing that they are given permission to judge on God’s behalf. And then for sure, and only then, will the world be a better place.
That’s all I’m willing to divulge for now 😉
Thanks for stopping by and checking me out!